Sunday, August 2, 2020

Another Hollywood Player Has Passed...

My heart is broken. Hearts across Los Angeles are broken. Hearts across Hollywood will never be the same.

Life will never be the same I'm sorry to say. When you've worked with someone special for a number of years on a number of shows it's tough to know you'll never see them again.

We were first introduced on my first feature movie "Dead Women in Lingerie." Broadway's Jerry Orbach, the father from Dirty Dancing was the star. I played an LAPD rookie, dressed in Hill Street Blues, standing by the dumpster. It was my first gig as Background, aka an Extra. At this time of industry-wide grieving, please forgive me, but I carried that movie.

Inches away from the dumpster, a new friend was waiting to enrich my life. Thank you, movie gods. Little did I know that many shoots and many missed Oscar nominations in the future, my new friend would be dead. As dead as my in-minus-numbers ancient SAT score. As dead as last week's 400th unrequited text to Jennifer Lawrence, pledging my future love and devotion. As dead as Julius Caesar. 

Now, passed, I'll always remember the good times. We were a team. On more sets than you've had hot lunches. Seabiscuit. The Grifters.Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. 24. Grey's Anatomy. Mad Men. Scandal. Jersey Boys. Bosch. Curb Your Enthusiasm. Indiana Jones-Crystal Skull. Vice. Sharknado. The heartbreaking list goes on and on. 

The virus caused the death of my near and dear lifelong movie-loving friend: Craft Service. 

'Crafty' as she was known was most generous. Sometimes in your face. But always there. Always there. Flaunting her womanly wares for Cast & Crew. Hot coffee. LAPD-style 4am Call Time donuts. You name it. Cheese sandwiches with tomato soup on those winter all-nighters in Downtown LA with the team from Snow Business, making it look like Christmas in Chi-Town.

We all have good days. We all have bad days. But she always wore a smile. Always there for all of us: Directors. Producers. DP's. Actors. Wardrobe. Crew. Hair. Make-Up. Background. Teamsters.      The Whole Enchilada. 

I heard through the grapevine that the spirit of Crafty is slowing returning. Returning as those most-welcome Call Sheet emails have begun arriving again, as the virus slowly but surely, heads South.

As Crafty's spirit reinvents herself, in this LA LA Land of reinvention, I'm stopping for 4am Java at Starbuck's. Stashing a few Cliff power bars in the pockets of the costumes and business suits I wear in front of the cameras.

Wardrobe. Hair. Make-up. Thanks for making me look good. Look after yourself. Mask. Social Distance. Washing hands. I'll join you. 

But, enough about me...





 




No comments:

Post a Comment